By Ruth Wilson, Monica Landoni (auth.), Panos Constantopoulos, Ingeborg T. Sølvberg (eds.)
Digital libraries (DLs) are significant advances in details expertise that often fall in need of expectancies [7, 28]. Covi & Kling  argue that knowing the broader context of expertise use is vital to figuring out electronic library use and its - plementation in several social worlds. fresh well-being informatics study additionally - gues that social and organisational components can ascertain the good fortune or failure of healthcare IT advancements [8, eleven, 12]. Heathfield  means that this can be as a result of advanced, independent nature of the scientific self-discipline and the really good (clinician or software program engineer) method of method improvement. adverse reactions to those structures is frequently as a result of irrelevant process layout and bad implementation. H- ever, there's different much less visible social and political repercussions of knowledge procedure layout and deployment. Symon et al  have pointed out, inside a clinic situation, how social constructions and paintings practices should be disrupted by way of expertise implementation. even if those platforms usually care for delicate, own infor- tion, different method layout examine has chanced on that it sounds as if harmless information will be perceived as a risk to social and political balance [1,2,3]. to appreciate the effect of DLs in the scientific career, an in-depth review is needed of the int- duction and later improvement of those purposes inside of their particular social and organisational settings. notwithstanding, as Covi & Kling  have highlighted, there are few high-level theories that relief designers in figuring out the implication of those concerns for DL layout and implementation.
Read or Download Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: 5th European Conference, ECDL 2001 Darmstadt, Germany, September 4-9, 2001 Proceedings PDF
Best research books
Top students discover the complicated questions coming up from the continuing transformation of Europe throughout the deepening and widening results of ecu integration. in response to authoritative analyses, the publication takes account of the numerous nationwide, transnational and foreign tactics and contexts within which ecu integration has turn into embedded.
Argumentation—arriving at conclusions on a subject matter via a technique of logical reasoning that incorporates debate and persuasion— has in recent times emerged as a important subject of debate between technological know-how educators and researchers. there's now a company and normal trust that fostering argumentation in studying actions can improve scholars’ severe considering and reasoning talents, and that dialogic and collaborative inquiries are key precursors to an engagement in clinical argumentation.
This foreign symposium specializes in the contributions that biomedical study is making to the availability of right health and wellbeing deal with the expanding numbers of aged humans in all nations, built and constructing. contemporary, encouraging advancements within the components of malignancy, dementia, osteoporosis, and heart problems are emphasised.
- Responsible Research and Innovation in Industry: The Case for Corporate Responsibility Tools (SpringerBriefs in Research and Innovation Governance)
- Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems II: IFIP TC 8 WG 8.9 International Conference on Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems (CONFENIS 2007) October 14–16, 2007, Beijing, China
- The promotion of the relationship between research and industry in mechanical production, Edition: 1st
- Emerging Research in Computing, Information, Communication and Applications: ERCICA 2015, Volume 2
Additional info for Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: 5th European Conference, ECDL 2001 Darmstadt, Germany, September 4-9, 2001 Proceedings
A Combined Phrase and Thesaurus Browser for Large Document Collections 27 Figure 2 Browsing a list of Title metadata The structure of the paper is as follows. The next section describes the document collection that we use as an example throughout the paper, and briefly discusses conventional non-hierarchical metadata-based browsing. Following that we describe the phrase interface, which is called Phind for “phrase index,” and convey how it feels to browse a collection using it. We then discuss the process of identifying the phrase hierarchy in a document collection.
6. Query Complexity The analysis of the distribution of the number of query terms for ResearchIndex confirms previous results gathered from CSBIB and CSTR collections: user queries are short. For each collection, at least 80% of users queries contain three or fewer terms (Table 9). 8% in the CSBIB collection. The distribution of the number of query terms in ResearchIndex is closer to that of CSTR collection than to that of CSBIB collection. The number of query terms in CSBIB may have been affected by a quirk in the CSBIB syntax, which enters author names as initials appended to the family name (for example, as the one term SmithJ rather than the two terms J Smith)—which will have the effect of reducing the number of query terms in many author queries.
Support for several 40 Holger Brocks et al. domain-specific tasks – based on a generic task model – is incorporated in the system. , keywords, annotations) is supplied with digital signatures to enable collaborative work on documents and their metadata (Collaborative Task Layer). Certain tasks like indexing are supported by thesauri and indexing aids. Document retrieval is managed by the XML Content Manager. Depending on the issued retrieval request domain information (Ontology Manager) as well as controlled vocabularies (Thesauri and Indexing Aids) may also be consulted.