By Andy Oram
The time period ''peer-to-peer'' has emerge as utilized to networks that anticipate finish clients to give a contribution their very own records, computing time, or different assets to a couple shared undertaking. much more fascinating than the platforms' technical underpinnings are their socially disruptive power: in numerous methods they go back content material, selection, and keep an eye on to usual users.
While this booklet is usually concerning the technical promise of peer-to-peer, we additionally speak about its intriguing social promise. groups were forming on the web for a very long time, yet they've been restricted by means of the flat interactive traits of electronic mail and community newsgroups. humans can trade ideas and ideas over those media, yet have nice hassle commenting on every one other's postings, structuring details, acting searches, or developing summaries. If instruments supplied how one can set up info intelligently, and if every body may serve up his or her personal info and retrieve others' facts, the chances for collaboration may take off. Peer-to-peer applied sciences in addition to metadata may well improve nearly any workforce of people that proportion an interest--technical, cultural, political, clinical, you identify it.
This publication offers the ambitions that force the builders of the best-known peer-to-peer platforms, the issues they have confronted, and the technical suggestions they have came upon. examine right here the necessities of peer-to-peer from leaders of the field:
- Nelson Minar and Marc Hedlund of target=''new''>Popular Power, on a heritage of peer-to-peer
- Clay Shirky of acceleratorgroup, on the place peer-to-peer is probably going to be headed
- Tim O'Reilly of O'Reilly & Associates, on redefining the public's perceptions
- Dan Bricklin, cocreator of Visicalc, on harvesting info from end-users
- David Anderson of SETI@home, on how SETI@Home created the world's greatest computer
- Jeremie Miller of Jabber, on the net as a suite of conversations
- Gene Kan of Gnutella and GoneSilent.com, on classes from Gnutella for peer-to-peer technologies
- Adam Langley of Freenet, on Freenet's current and upcoming architecture
- Alan Brown of pink Rover, on a intentionally low-tech content material distribution system
- Marc Waldman, Lorrie Cranor, and Avi Rubin of AT&T Labs, at the Publius venture and belief in disbursed systems
- Roger Dingledine, Michael J. Freedman, and David Molnar of Free Haven, on source allocation and responsibility in allotted systems
- Rael Dornfest of O'Reilly Network and Dan Brickley of ILRT/RDF internet, on metadata
- Theodore Hong of Freenet, on performance
- Richard Lethin of Reputation Technologies, on how acceptance could be outfitted online
- Jon Udell of BYTE and Nimisha Asthagiri and Walter Tuvell of Groove Networks, on security
- Brandon Wiley of Freenet, on gateways among peer-to-peer systems
You'll locate details at the most recent and maximum platforms in addition to upcoming efforts during this book.
Read or Download Peer-to-Peer : Harnessing the Power of Disruptive Technologies PDF
Best unix books
Your corporation has to be attached that allows you to compete within the worldwide industry. staff want to know that their company's community is on the market at any time, from anyplace. A digital inner most community (VPN) accomplishes this by using distant connectivity applied sciences that mix latest inner networks with the web to safely speak info.
Mac OS® X Leopard Phrasebook Brian Tiemann crucial Code and instructions Mac OS X Leopard Phrasebook offers the total command words you want to take complete good thing about the Leopard’s hidden and undocumented energy beneath the graphical person interface: time-saving strategies for successfully operating with documents, folders, the Finder, highlight, textual content documents, servers, disks, CDs/DVDs, permissions, printing, purposes, Expos?
The DNS & BIND Cookbook provides recommendations to the various difficulties confronted by way of community directors liable for a reputation server. Following O'Reilly's renowned problem-and-solution cookbook layout, this identify is an vital significant other to DNS & BIND, 4th version, the definitive consultant to the serious job of brand server management.
Additional info for Peer-to-Peer : Harnessing the Power of Disruptive Technologies
Even among those who don't, some have more files, and some have better bandwidth. As in Orwell's Animal Farm, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. While this idea is anathema to those wedded to the theory of radical decentralization, in practice, it is this very feature that gives rise to many of the business opportunities in the peer-to-peer space. It should give great relief to those who fear that peer-to-peer will lead to the leveling of all hierarchy and the end of industries that depend on it.
In the course of this walkthrough, I'll also talk about some of the guiding principles that we can derive from studying each project, which are captured in the ovals at the top of the diagram. This discussion is necessarily quite superficial, but suggests directions for further study. 1 File sharing: Napster and successors One of the most obvious things about the map I've drawn of the peer-to-peer space is that file-sharing applications such as Napster, Gnutella, and Freenet are only a small part of the picture, even though they have received the lion's share of the attention to date.
Experience is already showing that a hierarchy is starting to emerge. Some users turn off file sharing. Even among those who don't, some have more files, and some have better bandwidth. As in Orwell's Animal Farm, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. While this idea is anathema to those wedded to the theory of radical decentralization, in practice, it is this very feature that gives rise to many of the business opportunities in the peer-to-peer space. It should give great relief to those who fear that peer-to-peer will lead to the leveling of all hierarchy and the end of industries that depend on it.