By Fritz Graf
Even the main decided enemy of Festschriften may perhaps baulk at refusing one to Walter Burkert, for there are few students whose paintings has been extra universally well-liked and applauded. at the social gathering of his sixty fifth birthday in 1996 a gaggle of former students (Graf, Riedweg and Szlezák) and fellow students of Greek faith collected on the Römerstiftung René Clavel in Augst close to Basel to have fun his fulfillment with a symposium. The lawsuits represent this quantity, with one exception; Martin West's contribution has in view that seemed as bankruptcy three of The East Face of Helicon (Oxford 1997). as a substitute within the Festschrift he deals a Greek carmen gratulatorium of singular attraction.
Read or Download Ansichten griechischer Rituale: Geburtstags-Symposium für Walter Burkert PDF
Similar foreign language study & reference books
The examine of language version in social context maintains to carry the eye of a big variety of linguists. This learn is promoted through the yearly colloquia on New methods of examining version in English' (NWAVE). This quantity is a variety of revised papers from the NWAVE XI, held at Georgetown college.
Phonosymbolism, or sound symbolism (Lautsymbolik), is an important component of language development. Many severe students, although, have looked it with embarrassment or indifference. A wary reintroduction of phonosymbolism as an element liable for adjustments passed through, in various levels, by way of so much languages may now appear to be so as.
- An Introduction to Pidgins and Creoles (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics)
- Greek Prepositions: From Antiquity to the Present (Oxford Linguistics)
- Combat pour Berlin
- Einführung in die Rechtswissenschaft, 1st Edition
- Yiddish and Power
- Emotion und Textverstehen: Eine Untersuchung zum Stimmungskongruenzeffekt (Psycholinguistische Studien) (German Edition)
Extra resources for Ansichten griechischer Rituale: Geburtstags-Symposium für Walter Burkert
357. Religion', ,Ritual' 27 lowing decades 77 . It was Söderblom w h o contributed the lemma 'Holiness' to the above-mentioned Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics, in w h i c h h e wrote: "Holiness [for Söderblom 'the revelation of divine. power"] is the great word in religion; it is even more essential than the notion of God. R e a l religion may exist w i t h o u t a definite conception of divinity, but there is n o real religion without a distinction between holy and profane". holiness' will derive f r o m their work 7 8 .
Aleheringa oder die beginnende Zeit ( F r a n k f u r t / P a r i s 1983) 165—190; P. C . A l m o n d , Rudolf Otto. An Introduction to His Philosophical Theology ( C h a p e l H i l l / L o n d o n 1984); G . L o h r , " R u d o l f O t t o u n d das H e i l i g e " , ZRelGeistesG 45 (1993) 113-135. 76 P h . A l m o n d , " R u d o l f O t t o . T h e C o n t e x t o f his T h o u g h t " , Scottish J. of Theology 36 (1983) 3 4 7 - 3 6 2 , esp. 357. Religion', ,Ritual' 27 lowing decades 77 .
Garcia Ramon, "Griechisch hieros und seine Varianten, vedisch isira", in: R. Beekes/A. Lubotsky/ J. ), Rekonstruktion und relative Chronologie. Akten der VIII. Fachtagung der Indogerm. , Leiden, 31. Aug. —4. Sept. 1987, I n n s b r u c k e r Beitr. z. S p r a c h - wiss. 65 (Innsbruck 1992) 183-205. 8 8 H . Fugier, Recherches sur l'expression du sacre dans la langue latine (Strasbourg 1963). 30 Jan Ν. Bremmer lary. W h e n the Jews started to translate the Old Testament they purposely chose άγιος and avoided ιερός, which was evidently considered to be too much a terminus technicus of Greek religion.